Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Farewell Party


The Handa International Association hosted a farewell party for the exchange students and all of our host families this evening.  It was a really nice party and I had a lot of fun, but it was also kind of sad since I don't want to leave Japan.  After the opening speeches and a little time to eat, Asuka and I played the clarinet  duet "Spring Song" by F. Mendelsshon-Bartholdy.  It actually went very well, much better than I had expected.  I usually get nervous whenever I perform in public, but today went really well.  After Asuka and I finished playing, three performers played some songs on shamisen.  It was really cool and afterwards all three exchange students got to try playing shamisen together.  The leader of the group led everyone in the room in a song that matched the beat we were playing.  It was really fun.  The leader gave each of us a sensu (folding fan) with his name on it.  After the performances, each exchange student went on stage with all his/her host families.  At least one member from each family gave a short speech about the student.  Once the families had finished speaking, the ambassador gave a short speech to his/her host families.  I thanked everyone and talked about how I had experienced a little bit of so many parts of Japanese culture.  I learned history through the museums and historic sites, religion in the temples, different foods from my host families (and also restaurants and festivals), traditions such as wearing a yukata, a little bit of both written and spoken language, and so much more.  Every single day was something new and exciting.  This trip really was the experience of a lifetime.  I'll definitely remember it for the rest of my life.

the sensu from the shamisen group

a book full of photos from the Saito family

the main table

my (and my host families') table

me with all my host families

the three of us playing shamisen
me giving my speech

No comments:

Post a Comment