Saturday, August 3, 2013

Bon Dancing Festival


I went to a Bon Dancing festival at Nene and Taiga's elementary school with my host family today.  Nearly everyone was wearing a yukata and I was too.  It was so cool to be able to dress in the Japanese style.  After each class  had its picture taken we started the Bon Odori dance.  I didn't know the steps, but my host family told me to just follow other people and pretend that I knew what to do.  Even though I'm not a great dancer I still had a lot of fun.  It was difficult at first, but I got the hang of it eventually (near the end).

all the girls in yukatas (and Taiga in a jinbei) before leaving home

all the children in yukatas (and jinbeis)

during the dance

more of the dance
After the dance was finished the children all went inside for games.  I helped run the fishing station  There was a big bucket with fish swimming around inside and the children got to use a thin paper "net" to catch the fish.  They all got to take home up to five. If someone didn't catch any, we still handed out a bag with five fish.  While I was watching everyone I thought that it was only difficult for them since they were so young.  Near the end of the night I was allowed to try it and it was actually really difficult.  I'm quite impressed with the kindergarteners who caught any fish, especially those who caught more than one.  I caught one fish by scooping it up in a plastic bowl and one with the paper "net" (the legitimate way to do it).  I'm so glad I got to go this event with my host family.  I liked seeing all the children and the different games they played.  I also really enjoyed wearing my yukata.  It was a wonderful night.

helping run the fishing game



me [trying to] catch some fish

No comments:

Post a Comment