Sunday, August 4, 2013

Takoyaki and Okonomiyaki

For dinner tonight we made takoyaki and okonomiyaki at home.  Yuki Shirakawa (the son from my first host family) also came over.  Takoyaki is octopus (tako) baked in a shell of batter with cabbage cooked inside as well.  Okonomiyaki is often called a “Japanese pancake” and is made of cabbage, eggs, flour, and water all mixed together then cooked on a griddle or pan (like we would cook a pancake).  After cooking, we topped it with a special sauce and mayonnaise.  I thought it was okay without the sauce, but with the sauce I didn't really like it.  The takoyaki was okay and I liked the octopus, but I don’t really like cabbage and the texture of batter on the inside and crepe-like on the outside was a little weird for me.







For dessert we had akafuku, mochi covered in red bean paste.  It was really good and among Sara, Nene, Yuki, and I we finished all twelve pieces.  After we finished eating we played games including Uno, Go Fish, and Old Maid. I’m glad that Yuki was able to join us tonight.  It was very fun.

akafuku

No comments:

Post a Comment