Monday, August 5, 2013

First Day with the Takeuchi Family


I moved in with the Takeuchi family this afternoon.  On the way home, we stopped at Pan no Tora, a bakery.  There were many different types of bread and they all looked wonderful.  We got some to eat for breakfast tomorrow.  After arriving home we talked some and shared photos.  I showed them my photo book of me and Midland; they showed me an album they had made of them with Keenan.  After that, my host grandmother (whom I was told to call Oba-chan) made green tea from matcha powder.  It was good even though it was a little more bitter than I remember.  After drinking the green tea, we started to prepare dinner: takoyaki.  Since I discovered yesterday that I don't like cabbage, we made some of the takoyaki without it.  We also made some filled with mochi and cheese instead of octopus.  Both the mochi and octopus were very good.  We also made some yakisoba, but I didn't know that would happen so I was pretty much full from the takoyaki.  I still had some just to try it and it was quite good.

Oba-chan making green tea

making takoyaki

all of us (except Oba-chan) at the dinner table

me about to eat some takoyaki

yakisoba
After we finished eating, Asuka (the daughter in my host family) and I went to the bookstore which is right next to her house.  As we were leaving, her grandmother gave me a prepaid card as a gift.  I thanked her (in Japanese) and then Asuka and I left.  The bookstore had a whole corner just for manga and even had three or four shelves of used manga.  It was all in like-new condition but the prices were sometimes as low as ¥100!  I bought two volumes of Death Note (1 and 7- my favorites), Volume 1 of Zombie-Loan (I've watched all the episodes of the anime), a book of Hatsune Miku, and the manga version of BBC's Sherlock (I didn't even know this existed but I'm really happy I saw it). After making the purchase, we returned home.


When we arrived, we had dessert: a cake that said "Welcome Cara".  It looked and tasted really good.  I am enjoying my time with this family so far and looking forward to the rest of the week.
Oba-chan and me with the welcome cake



No comments:

Post a Comment