Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hida-Takayama

a street in Hida-Takayama
I went to Hida-Takayama with my host family today.  On the way there we stopped at a small shop where Sara and I each painted a fuurin, a glass wind chime.   I wrote the kanji for Hida-Takayama, the date, and my name.  For pictures I painted a red sarubobo, a house from Shirakawa-go, and our approximate location in Japan.  I wrote “with the Saito family” in Japanese on the piece of blue paper hanging from the bottom of the fuurin. 
my fuurin
Hida-Takayama is a very old Japanese town and it was so cool to be able to see it.  The houses and shops are in the old style which was very interesting.  We also got to ride in a jinriki-sha, a cart pulled by a human driver.  It was really fun.  At one of the shops I bought an umbrella that has the kanji for Hida-Takayama (飛騨高山) on the top.  I like it a lot.  After the two-hour car ride home, we played Uno and then had curry rice for dinner.  I am looking forward to baking and cooking meals for my host family tomorrow!

my host dad, Taiga, and me in the jinriki-sha

our jinriki-sha driver/tour guide

playing Uno at home

curry rice and potato salad



No comments:

Post a Comment