Thursday, August 8, 2013

Japanese Calligraphy (Part 2)

I went to a calligraphy class with Shinsuke this evening.  The teacher let me try writing some different kanji and also hiragana.  She showed me how to write my name in katakana as well.  The first thing I tried was the kanji for "peace" (平和 - heiwa).  That was really difficult for me so she wrote out the hiragana (へいわ) for me to practice.  That was easier, but still difficult and nearly impossible to make perfect.  I asked if she would teach me how to draw 愛 (ai - love) since I already knew the stroke order and approximate shape of the whole character.  It was really difficult.  I had a really hard time making my penmanship consistent and a different stroke would be off each time.  I finally made one that was okay, so I signed my name (in katakana) and put it between two pieces of newspaper to take with me.  My host mother purchased the brushes I was using and gave them to me as a gift.  I plan to practice writing Japanese calligraphy once I return home.  It was really fun and it would be a cool skill to have.

the teacher showing me how to draw the kanji for heiwa

my version of heiwa (with my signature on the left)

this boy gave me his version of "hinoyojin"

me signing my drawing of "heiwa"

the teacher correcting my calligraphy

the teacher showing me how to draw "ai"

me with the whole calligraphy class and the teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment