Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Welcome Party



We had our official welcoming party this evening.  All our host families (for all three weeks) were there as well as Mayor Sakakibara and other city officials.  Scout, Nick, and I each had our own translator to help us communicate with our families.  We all met at a Chinese restaurant and had dinner.  I had my first piece of fried chicken ever (it was okay), Prawn crackers, a dumpling-like food, some of a spring roll, and some spicy rice.  For dessert at the end we had a fried dough thing covered in sesame seeds and filled with sweet paste.  It was really good.

During the party, we three ambassadors got to give a short speech about the exchange and tell a little about ourselves.  Scout is PomPon captain, so she was asked to perform for everyone.  It was pretty cool.  I was asked about what a Girl Scout is.  I said that Girl Scouts do service projects to make communities better.  I was also asked about playing the clarinet.  I told about my invitation to play in a band with a member of my third host family.  I have now been invited to perform at the farewell ceremony in three weeks.  I hope I can play a duet with Asuka.  (She plays clarinet also and I am playing in her band when I stay with her family.)

All three of us were presented with many gifts on behalf of the city.  Two students read stories written by Nankichi Niimi, a famous author born in Japan and we were each given a book with the stories they read.


 We  also received a diecast Nissan Leaf and booklet with information about that car.  We were given polo shirts with the city's mascot on them: gonkichi, a fox wearing a hat and suit.  I think my favorite gift I received from the city yesterday was the yukata.  It is very beautiful and I am excited to wear it.



















We also met three students who travelled to Midland in the past.  They had very nice things to say.  They enjoyed their time in Midland and were happy to meet us.

No comments:

Post a Comment