Friday, July 26, 2013

Konbini! (Part 2)

On the way to the Meiji Mura Museum, we stopped at a convenience store.  I want to try many foods while I am here, so I always buy things at the konbini.  I also bought more at the museum in gift shops.  The museum gift shops here are different from the ones in America.  Our gift stores mark the prices up a lot on almost everything, but the prices here are reasonable (or so my host family tells me).  I've been buying a lot over the past two days; on Wednesday I had 4000 yen ($40) and now I have 400 ($4.00).  It has definitely been worth it though and I am having a lot of fun.  Anyways... food:


Coconut Pocky- I like bread, crunchy things, chocolate, and coconut, so this was very good.  Pocky is always delicious.  I'll get the Star Wars strawberry ones later during this trip.


Puré gummies (peach/mango flavor)- also very good
In America pink color usually means strawberry, but in Japan it always means peach, mango, or both.
Umaibou ("corn potage" flavor)  There were many flavors, but this was the only one we saw that wasn't spicy.
It tasted a lot like corn... the first couple bites were weird but then it was good.  Also, it was only ¥10 in a gift shop at the Meiji Mura Museum.  Apparently these were popular for my host mother's generation.  They would bring these on picnics as a snack.  

Matcha Choco- green tea-flavored chocolate (and as I later found out, beans)

I bought this on the way to Meiji Mura, so it sat in the hot car for a few hours.  As you can see, it melted.  I had to tear open two full edges of the package to get it out.  All the pieces are beans.  It tasted good and I liked the texture as well.  It just melted really fast and I couldn't hold it for long without it getting all over my hand.
Puku Puku Tai- a crispy wafer fish filled with airy chocolate
I actually bought this in the Meiji Mura Museum when I bought the corn potage Umaibou.
The outside was harder than I expected and I thought the filling would be more like a whipped mousse-type thing, but it was actually chocolate (like our air-filled Hershey's kisses but with more air).


No comments:

Post a Comment