Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Meeting at City Hall

Last night the other two students and I had the opportunity to speak at a city council meeting.  It was so exciting!  Scout talked about all the activities she does and said that she also will be updating a blog about her trip to Handa at http://scoutparsch.blogspot.com/.  I spoke about what this exchange opportunity means to me and why I think it is important.  I believe that an international exchange such as this one will not only help me to experience a new culture and see things differently but also to allow others to experience a bit of our culture and promote international peace and understanding.  Nick said some of the activities he does as well as expressed gratitude to the Sister City committee for this amazing opportunity.  Again, thank you to all members of the Sister City Committee, sponsors of the exchange program, and everyone else who makes this program available.

At the meeting, we also got to meet Mayor Maureen Donker.  She was so nice and excited for us to go on our trip.  It was an honor to be able to meet the mayor of our city.  Nick is carrying a letter from her to Mayor Sakakibara in Handa.  Mayor Donker said that Mayor Sakakibara has a wonderful singing voice and likes karaoke.  I hope I get to experience those!

No comments:

Post a Comment