Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ochazuke, Taiyaki, and Mitarashi Dango


my breakfast (dango not pictured)
Yuki's breakfast (dango not pictured)


My host mother prepared ochazuke for breakfast this morning.  Ochazuke is rice in hot water and topped with various things.  Mine had umeboshi (pickled plums).  The green pieces on top are nori (seaweed).  It was okay.  The mitarashi dango is dango (balls made from rice flour) covered in a syrup of soy sauce mixed with sugar.  We bought those at the shop yesterday where I made taiyaki.  They were quite good. Since the food shop owner from yesterday gave me three taiyaki as a gift, I gave one to Yuki and one to each of his parents.  Manami and I each had one yesterday.

After breakfast, we had some fruit: bozu (grapes) and a Japanese fruit called nashi.  It looks like an apple, but it's not.  It has the texture of a cross between a watermelon and an apple.  I can't really describe the taste.  It did not have much flavor, but it was good.  The grapes were interesting because you aren't supposed to eat the skin.  We ate the inside of the grapes then put the skins into small bowls similar to how we don't eat cherry pits.  Both fruits were delicious.

nashi

the grapes (left) and nashi (right)


No comments:

Post a Comment