Monday, July 22, 2013

Breakfast with the Shirakawa Family

Today started out with a breakfast full of new foods.  Shiho (the mother of the home) made miso soup with onions and nori (seaweed), onigiri (rice balls-also with seaweed), tamagoyaki (egg custard), and barley tea. I even tried natto (fermented beans).  It was all pretty different from what I'm used to, but I tried everything and it was interesting.  The onigiri was my favorite since I am used to rice, and the seaweed was actually okay.  The tamagoyaki tasted okay, but the texture was a lot different from anything I've had before.  The consistency was kind of like a softer version of jello.  And the natto?  I didn't really care for it.  Many Japanese people do not like natto and it is generally considered to be an acquired taste because of its strong smell and slimy texture.  The tea, of course, was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment