Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tanabata Matsuri in Ichinomiya

I went to the Tanabata Matsuri festival in Ichinomiya with my host family today.  It was like a huge carnival with parades, food, and games.  There were a lot of people and it was hard to stay with my family since it was so crowded.  We ate at five or so different food stands throughout the day, including lunch at a restaurant.  The traditional dress for this festival is a yukata (and many people were wearing them), but my host mother said I needed a rope and some other materials to wear the yukata I have correctly.  When I go to the Takeuchi home during my third week here I will be able to wear the yukata since they have the supplies I need.  This festival was so cool and I'm really glad that I got the chance to attend.

a restaurant was giving out free sweet samples

the free sweets (they were all good)

Ichinomiya




tanzaku- dreams/wishes written on pieces of paper


crepe (raspberry flavor)- after being filled it was rolled up into a cone shape.  I liked it, but I'm not surprised by that at all.


Watermelon-man and Captain Jack Sparrow (I don't know why)

Kakigori- shaved ice (like a snow cone but with finer shavings) Mine was matcha-flavored and I liked it a lot.
restaurant where we had lunch
lunch: udon noodles with egg, renkon tempura, and inarizushi (did not like)

fried cheese- seemed interesting, had to try it  (It was good.)

me with the employees of a newly opened maid café

a Japanese haunted house


a parade with many women doing a synchronized dance

a man playing a taiko drum
I don't know many dancers there were, but there were a lot.

some of the parade


No comments:

Post a Comment